If you are a Nigerian and legal resident from the age of 16 years and above you can obtain your National Identification Number (NIN) from the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) or its accredited service agents. Note that minors between 0 and 15 years can also register under the guidance of their guardians. Click here for the minor’s registration.
What you need
- Bank Verification Number (BVN) – optional.
- Any of the following required original and valid supporting documents:
- Old National ID Card
- Driver’s license
- Voter’s card (temporary or permanent)
- Nigerian international passport
- Certificate of origin
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff ID card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff ID card
- School ID card (private/public)
- Tax clearance certificate
- Valid immigration documents
- Nigerian Commission for Refugees (NCFR) refugee certificate
- Refugee ID card
- Refugee factsheet
How to register
- Visit an enrollment centre with the supporting documents and be verified not to have previously enrolled.
- Get and fill out the enrollment form by providing the required demographic information.
- Submit the filled form to the enrollment officer at the centre for input on the enrollment application.
- Verify and confirm the enrollment data entered on the system by the enrollment officer. Note that you can ask for corrections to be made if there is a mistake.
- Present yourself for a headshot photograph, fingerprints and signature capture.
- Submit your supporting documents scanning.
- Collect enrollment acknowledgement slips generated – including transaction slip and NIN slip indicating completion of enrollment.
Note that applicants can use the pre-enrollment service (a do-it-your-self enrollment process) on the NIMC portal to fill out the form in block letters, confirm the data and print out a summary sheet with a 2D barcode for biometric capturing at the enrollment centre.
The NIN enrollment is free. However, the re-issuance of the NIN slip costs N500.00 and the e-ID card is N5,000.00. The modification of data per updatable field is N500.00 while for date of birth is N15,000.00.
If you witness any form of corruption or poor service delivery, contact the NIMC Servicom Unit and ACTU via 08157691214, 08157691071, 08157691145, 09034959433, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact us to provide you with guidance and engage relevant authorities to help resolve the issue(s).